Our Heavy Vehicle Driver Training
Vehicles in the Light Rigid class have a GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) more than 4.5 tonne but less than or equal to 8 tonne. You may also tow a trailer no more than 9 tonne GVM. This class includes vehicles carrying more than 12 passengers, provided the vehicle weighs less than 4.5 tonne. LR vehicles include small courier trucks and smaller buses. There is no axle limit for LR-class vehicles.
- Drivers must have held a C-class drivers licence for at least 12 months and have no medical condition that may affect their ability to drive a light rigid vehicle.
Light rigid driver training and assessments can be conducted in Mackay, Cannonvale or by one of our certified instructors in Kununurra.
Medium-sized trucks, tow trucks, charter buses and vehicles with a GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) of more than 8 tonne are classed as Medium Rigid vehicles. They can not have more than 2 axles, but may tow a trailer, providing the weight is no more than 9 tonne GVM.
- Drivers wishing to upgrade to a MR licence must have held a C-class drivers licence for at least 12 months.
- If upgrading from a C-class licence, drivers must pass a knowledge test. Current LR licence holders are not required to take this test.
- Drivers with a medical condition that may affect their ability to drive vehicles of this class may be required to provide a medical certificate.
PK's TruckWise medium rigid driver training is ideal for people who will be required to drive a bus or any medium haulage truck. Our MR driving lessons are tailored to your needs, so you can learn at your own pace.
A Heavy Rigid vehicle is classified as any vehicle with a GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) of more than 8 tonne (no axle limit), as well as a trailer no more than 9 tonne GVM.
- Drivers wishing to upgrade to a HR-class licence must have held a provisional or open car licence (C-class licence) for at least 12 months. Alternatively, they may have held a provisional or open LR (Light Rigid) or MR (Medium Rigid) licence for at least 12 months.
- Drivers upgrading from a C-class licence must pass a Drivers Knowledge Test with the Department of Transport & Main Roads. Current LR or MR licence holders are not required to undertake a knowledge test.
- An eyesight test may also be required.
Your PK's TruckWise instructor will educate and assess you on essential skills such as handling, braking, reversing, starting and stopping, highway driving and pre-driving checks.
The Heavy Combination vehicle class includes a rigid vehicle and single trailer with a GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) greater than 9 tonne, or a prime mover and semi-trailer.
- Drivers must have held an open or provisional MR or HR-class licence for at least 12 months.
- Drivers must not have any medical condition or eyesight problem that may impact on their ability to safely drive a heavy vehicle.
PK's TruckWise have successfully trained many drivers across Queensland and Western Australia. We provide training for safe operation of trucks and large truck and dog set-ups. Training covers both practical aspects, as well as general road knowledge and safe operation of heavy vehicles.
The Multi-Combination class covers road trains and B-doubles. With this licence class, drivers are permitted to drive any heavy combination with two or more trailers.
- Drivers wishing to obtain an MC-class licence must have held an open or provisional HC or HR-class licence for at least 12 months.
- Drivers must pass an approved training course, covering theory and practical aspects.
Applicants must be declared medically fit, and an eyesight test may also be required in order to be approved for an MC licence. Our instructors train and assess your driving ability in line with industry standards.
Please contact us to make a booking for driving lessons in Mackay, Cannonvale, Bowen Basin area or Kununurra.